Pages

Monday, May 12, 2014

A Birth Story

This is the story of Harper Rose.

I was 38 Weeks. It was my first week off of work for maternity leave. I was too big and tired to continue working, so I pretty much bounced on an exercise ball or napped that Wednesday. That night, when Hubs got home from work he suggested that we go walking at the gym, which I was NOT opposed to since I wanted that growing baby girl out of my tight belly. I had been having Braxton Hicks contractions for several weeks, but I was hoping to go into actual labor soon, so I walked happily. I walked for about 45 minutes before my hips began to hurt and Hubs and I went home to put my feet up and catch up on laundry. While we folded laundry, Hubs played a new album that he found and I danced around like a maniac. It was a fun night.

At 2 a.m. I felt/heard a loud "POP" followed by a contraction. I fully expected to stand up out of bed and feel a gush of water, but no. Just a slow trickle. Was I peeing, was it my water? It was confusing. I was wide awake though, and not going back to sleep anytime soon, so I took the puppy and went to the couch to see if labor progressed. I drank some water and watched some late night TV while my labor (quickly) progressed and within 3 hours I woke hubs up to take me to the hospital. We were on our way to have our baby! I was a mixed bag of emotions, mostly nervous, but really excited.

Once we arrived at the hospital, they confirmed that my water broke and checked me into my delivery room. I received my epidural several hours later (I wasn't kidding anyone thinking I could do it drug-free). I labored all day. The excited grandparents were visiting all day and kept remarking how easily my labor was going! I had a great epidural, I guess. I finally got to a 10 around 4pm but felt no desire to push, so around 6:30 they came in and had me start pushing.

Right from the start (after they turned off my epidural!) I could feel something wasn't quite right. I was pushing, but couldn't feel anything happening (except pain). And my contractions were back-to-back, so I had no resting period between pushes. It was like that for 2.5 hours. I just remembering begging my husband for a C-section and asking him to help me. It was nothing like I expected, and I knew it wasn't right. Eventually the doctor tried the vacuum, but to no avail. My sweet little girl was sunny side up (face up) and stuck in my narrow birth canal. She was also beginning to struggle for oxygen and her heart rate was plummeting with each contraction, which I will remind you were back-to-back with no resting period. They strapped an oxygen mask on my face and told me they needed to take me for a C-section, which I was so ready for. An Anesthesiologist came and did the spinal block (Thank the good Lord) and they wheeled me to the operating room. I was scared. I was shaking. I was exhausted. I just wanted her here safely.

About 15 minutes later, Hubs watched as our six pound, eight ounce Harper Rose was lifted out of  my pregnant belly. She was perfect. 10 fingers, 10 toes, perfect head. He said she was beautiful. Hearing her cry for the first time was magic. Hubs ran over to snap a couple pictures for me and cut the umbilical cord. When they finally brought her over to see me, I felt my whole world shift. She became the center around which everything in my life would now orbit. Her tiny half-Asian eyes, her squishy little lips, I could've stared at her forever. When I finally got to hold her for my "Golden Hour" alone, I memorized everything about her face. I rubbed her back and legs, she held my finger, she looked at me, then slept on my chest. She was perfect.

Hubs went to tell everyone that we were ok, healthy and happy (apparently, it was an emergency situation and we caused quite the commotion on the maternity floor).  From that moment on, I have been in love with my tiny daughter. She is my everything. Being a mom is the hardest thing I have ever done, or will ever do, but it has been the best 4.5 months of my life. I absolutely, wholeheartedly love being a mom. This version of the story is only a small part of the miracles that happened that day, December 19, 2013. There are so many things, too personal to share with the whole internet, that occurred that day that I know there was a higher power watching over my sweet angel and me. Had a few things gone differently that day, I might be without my little peanut. I am blessed beyond measure.


Photobucket


No comments:

Post a Comment